Donated by Jack R. McNally.
Manufactured by the Playboy Motor Car Co., Buffalo, New York, 1947-1951. 97 were built. The company was founded by L. Horwitz, a former Packard dealer; C. Thomas, a former Pontiac engineer; and N. Richardson, a garage mechanic.
Playboy produced an affordable automobile selling at $995 f.o.b. Buffalo. Conceived to be the second car in the typical American family soon after WWII, it measured 156” overall length with a 40 hp four-cylinder engine. Its innovative folding steel top was hinged in the middle with a supposedly leak proof rubber gasket.
The company suffered from a lack of capital investment including two failed stock offerings and a failed attempt to sell the company to Henry J. Kaiser (of the Kaiser-Fraiser Car Co.) in 1950. The firm declared bankruptcy in 1951.
The Museum’s Playboy is the only one known to have a Continental kit.